Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Wednesday in the Second Week of Lent

And he said to them, do you not understand this parable?

Again and again we read in scripture that the disciples don’t get it.  Even with “the secret of the kingdom of God,” they don’t get it. We get it, why don’t they? They are right there with Jesus, they see everything, they see the effect of what he does, and they don’t get it.

Of course, we have the luxury of two millennia of teaching and understanding on our side. And, of course, we know of the Resurrection; we have a larger picture.

Even so, it doesn’t always help me to understand. In this parable, for example, am I the word which has been sown?  What kind of soil am I?  At times I have not been rich and fertile. At times I have not heard the word at all. Or, maybe I am the sower. If I counted the people to whom I spread the word it would not be a large number. Though, when I look at my life and see the spiritual principles that are part of it I know there have been impacts in the world.

What does Jesus mean, “to bear fruit, thirty and sixty and a hundredfold”?  The Gospel has been shared with me my whole life.  Have I lived it to show that Gospel teaching?  Every time I hear and understand the Good News my life has a chance and a reason to change.  So, today in my prayer and meditation I will seek to become more fertile ground, humbly praying that I might bear fruit thirty and sixty and a hundredfold.
—  Lawrence Elliott

No comments:

Post a Comment