Thursday, March 20, 2014

Friday in the Second Week of Lent

Psalm 73   •   Genesis 43:1-15   •   1 Corinthians 7:1-9   •   Mark 4:35-41
In this meditation, I have used Nan Merrill’s interpretation of Psalm 73 in Psalms for Praying.

How easy it is to get caught up in our own fears when storms hit and we would like our lives to go a different way.  As I write this I am facing my daughter’s upcoming double mastectomy. Upon hearing this news a month ago I was pulled into old but familiar thought patterns. I imagined all the worst things. I began to spiral downward . . . the boat was sinking. I was with the psalmist in Psalm 73 as he tried to understand what seemed beyond his comprehension, until I went into the sanctuary of God or, as Nan Merrill calls it, “the silence of God.”

My “Saving Grace” is to enter into “the silence” through my vehicle of choice, Centering Prayer. When I can get past my own swirling thoughts and into this Silence my fear is transformed into trust and I can begin to see in a different way. Being in community with others who have chosen this path has helped support me enormously.

When we journey into the Mystery at our core we encounter Love which is always there giving us strength and new understandings. We can then say, “Peace! Be still!” and move forward trusting in that Divine strength and love to help us face whatever comes.
  

— Brenda Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment